Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Ingredients of a Sports Blog

I've always felt like there must be some reason to start a blog. Sure, someone may love a particular activity--crafting, home improvement, parenting--but there has to be a spark; some type of desire to start a new endeavor in the world of online writing. This is where my story begins.

My name is Becca. I'm a 23-year-old female and a native of the great city of Chicago. For as long as I can remember, I've loved sports more than most people I knew. I played practically any sport available to young children, but I really focused on 4 sports. I started swimming at the age of 7 and shortly thereafter joined a competitive swimming program. Softball quickly followed. With no fear of being hit in the face of the ball, I stepped into the main catcher position. Gymnastics had been a constant in my life since the age of 5, but owing to so many injuries, I was forced to quit by age 13. My ability to flip and twist through the air lead me to a varsity diving career as I entered high school. Of course these sports are seemingly typical for the average, athletic girl. However, I stood out amongst my peers in that I spent my days at practice and my nights glued to ESPN.

My love for sports has never diminished. In fact, one of my requirements in the college selection process was that the football program be incredibly strong. Thus, I ended up at Ohio State University. Say all you want, but the school has an impeccable record throughout the years. I grew up a Michigan State fan, as both of my parents attended the school. When it came down to it, though, OSU was my top academic choice. As an alumni, I've had my ups and downs, but my allegiance shall never falter. It may come across as incredibly odd to most people, but I am equal parts Spartan and Buckeye fan. You may be wondering how two Big 10 teams can be my favorite, but that is for a later date. It causes a lot of weird looks, but I'm true to my teams.

As a Chicagoan, I'm the obvious Bears/Blackhawks/Bulls fan. Seeing how we have two baseball teams, I am a South Sider through and through. I've stood by my White Sox from the tough years to the World Series Championship back to the under .500 seasons.

At this point, you may be wondering, "Why the hell is this girl writing this blog? Obviously she's a sports fan, but so are a lot of people." Well, it's quite simple. It really comprises of just two reasons. I'm a very opinionated, passionate fan and I love to write. That's it. Love it or hate it, I am who I am. So what If I'm a girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment